Learn to work effectively with studio lighting on our one day Studio Lighting Course, plus get some hands on experience shooting studio portrait photography.
Our one day Studio Lighting Course in London provides you with practical skills so that you become competent at working with studio lighting.
On this course you'll be taught by professional photographer, Ellie Kurttz. After ensuring you have a good understanding of the technical aspects of studio lighting, Ellie will take you, step by step, through everything you need to know so that you can competently create your own lighting set ups.
Topics covered in the Studio Lighting Course
- Operation of studio lights and setting up your camera to work with them
- Using a light meter to calculate exposures
- Light modifiers and accessories, including softbox, beauty dish and reflector
- Creating or reducing shadow with reflectors and polyboards
- Working with white, black and grey backgrounds
- Lighting the background
- Lighting set ups with one, two, three and four lights
- Main, fill, butterfly, clamshell, broad & short lighting
- Choosing the correct lighting for your subject
- High key and low key lighting set ups
- Flagging light
- Separating the subject from the background with rim lighting
- Lighting hair
- Creative lighting including shallow depth of field and using movement
- Using gels to create colour
- Studio portraiture techniques and posing, plus beauty lighting
- Recreating studio shots based on the lighting used in magazines
This studio lighting course is designed so that you can use a studio for portrait photography, the focus of the course is on portrait lighting techniques in the studio.
The course is designed so that you spend most of the time taking photos, and using the lighting equipment yourself. There is lots of opportunity for you to take photos and use the lighting equipment during the workshop and you can use the images in your portfolio.
Image by course attendee, Antoine Deschenes.
We use a photography studio which has black, white, grey and coloured backgrounds, four studio lights and a variety of light modifiers, which is ideal for portraiture.
All lighting equipment will be supplied by 36exp.
You will need a digital SLR camera with manual mode and need to know how to set ISO, aperture and shutter speed.
Image by Lorna Milburn.
The courses runs from 10.30am-4.00pm in Bermondsey, and costs £185.
Attendees limited to 6.
Choose a date and book your place:
You might also like our
Flash Photography Workshop